35% of LGBT+ staff hid their sexual orientation at work in the last year because they were afraid of discrimination.
Whilst many employers and organisations in the UK are making progress towards diversity and inclusion, LGBT+ people still face discrimination at work.
Stonewall, the UK’s leading LGBT+ rights organisation has some tips to kick start LGBT+ inclusion within your workplace:
- Work with your HR Department to improve your policies and procedures
- Always ensure that your policies include explicit bans on discrimination, bullying and harassment based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.
- Want to do more? Include a ‘transitioning at work policy.’ This is a guide for employers, employees, and managers to support a transitioning employee.
- Let prospective LGBT+ employees know they’ll be accepted at work
- Ensure your organisation has a strong statement online or in their policies, that demonstrates their commitment to diversity and inclusion. Make sure to explicitly mention LGBT+ people.
- Educate your team with inclusive language resources or take part in History Month (February for the UK).
- Diversify your internal communications
- During the hiring process, keep inclusion high on the agenda.
- When new employees have been hired, make sure that they receive the clear message about your organisations support of LGBT+ inclusion. Therefore, a supportive atmosphere has been created from day 1.
- Set up an employee network group, LGBT+ staff network group
- By creating a dedicated space for LGBT+ employees in the organisation, it allows your LGBT+ employees to connect and share peer support.
- This can make a huge difference for an employee’s experience and engagement.
- March, sponsor, or volunteer at your local pride as an organisation
- Pride marches happen yearly. It is the perfect way to show your support for the LGBT+ community and a great way to get all your staff involved.
If employers take steps to create inclusive work policies and show a visible commitment to LGBT+ equality; it will boost staff moral and foster a community environment that all people will feel welcome in.
There are also many benefits of a diverse and inclusive workplace including increased productivity, innovative and collaboration.
Would you like help building an inclusive workplace? Get in touch, we would love to help!
#thecondorcollective #workplacehappiness #lgbtqia+ #lgbt